Gocompare.com have revealed the top 20 things putting people off from buying a property.
Damp is seen to be the biggest “no no” for potential purchasers, with 70% saying they wouldn’t buy a property with damp patches, and stained ceilings/walls, while 63% of people said they would avoid homes in a state of disrepair.
Take a look at the list below showing the top offenders that put people off buying a property:
- Damp patches and/or stains on walls or ceilings
- Property being in poor state of repair e.g. rotten windows, etc.
- Bad smells including pet smells, damp, cigarettes, etc
- No parking spaces
- No outdoor space/gardens
- Unfinished building work
- Poor natural light/dark rooms
- Outdated electrics
- Small rooms
- Old boiler/central heating system
- Bad DIY
- Small kitchen
- General uncleanliness/untidiness
- Wooden windows
- Pebble dash/stone cladding
- Outdated kitchen
- Outdated bathroom
- Overgrown garden
- Artex/textured ceilings
- Cluttered rooms
This all goes to show, that things that can be addressed quite quickly/cheaply, such as, animal or cigarette smells, bad DIY and uncleanliness, are more off-putting than a property in need of a new bathroom/kitchen.